Job Posting: Campaigns Director
Posting date: September 9, 2020
Closing date: Monday, October 12, 2020 11:59PM Pacific time
Start date: As soon as possible
Location: Flexible, Preference for Toronto or Vancouver
Compensation: Salary range $70K-80K, commensurate with experience, plus benefits
Leadnow is looking for a visionary Campaigns Director to lead the organization’s campaigns team in running high-impact campaigns.
We are particularly interested in candidates from communities that have historically and persistently been oppressed, that bring unique and diverse perspectives, skills and lived experience to this leadership role and to shape the vision and mission of Leadnow.
Leadnow is proudly unionized with BCGEU, and while this position is not a member of the bargaining unit, it supports staff members of the union.
Leadnow is an independent advocacy organization powered by more than 600,000 members campaigning for social, economic and climate justice. Together, we do what it takes, with fierce integrity, to have impact as a powerful progressive force in Canada.
Our campaigns aim to create accessible opportunities online and on the ground for people to organize and influence the priorities and policies of governments and corporations. We want a more open, accountable, and representative democracy because decisions should be driven by the people whose lives they affect.
We are looking for an inspiring leader to join our team to drive high-impact campaigns and help create a workplace that doesn’t replicate the oppressive structures we’re fighting to dismantle.
The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of the power of movements to create progressive change, demonstrated success leading campaigns that build profile, and a collaborative leader who combines systemic thinking with detailed execution.
About the Role
As Campaigns Director, you will be responsible for leading all aspects of our campaigns work, with support from the Executive Director. This includes leading a seasoned team of managers who oversee digital campaigning, organizing and tech. Collaborating with the full team, you are responsible for setting vision, priorities and plans to direct our short and long term campaigns. This includes developing new strategies and tactics that will enable everyday people to have a real impact on policy, politics, society and elections.
- Determining and driving campaign strategy, goals and metrics
- Ensuring high-quality content across campaigns and channels
- Supporting the campaigns team in achieving targets for community growth, diversification, engagement
- Data-driven and qualitative evaluation of campaigns on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Setting and meeting targets for member-based fundraising in collaboration with Campaign Managers
- Developing and maintaining workflows, project management and decision-making processes that guide the work of the campaigns team
- Managing Campaign Managers that oversee Digital, Organizing, and Tech, respectively, including setting and monitoring work outcomes, coaching and leadership development
- Integrating resources across digital, organizing, and tech work streams, pitching and testing innovative uses of technology to grow impact
- Hiring processes for campaigns staff
- Managing the campaigns tactical budget
- Developing strong partnerships with allied organizations in the social justice and climate movements
And supports on:
- Setting long term organizational vision and strategy to inspire staff, volunteers and community members
- Developing communications and framing strategy to align with our strategic goals and supporting the campaigns team in crafting effective messages
- Shaping team culture, especially in our efforts to make Leadnow a more inclusive workplace
- Developing relationships with decision makers, funders and other external stakeholders
- Ensuring we remain independent and legally compliant with laws governing political campaigning in Canada
- Risk management and quality control
We are seeking candidates with a strong mix of the following characteristics:
Essential skills & qualities:
- Collaborative, empowering leadership style: an experienced team leader with strong facilitation skills. (You don’t need to be from the nonprofit sector — we value a range of leadership experiences.)
- Experience leading campaign strategies and tactics that build profile and make a splash: demonstrated success leading campaigns that are newsworthy, attract new audiences, and deliver impact
- Strong writing, editing and strategic communication skills: supporting campaigners in content development across platforms, developing newsworthy campaigns and tactics
- Experience organizing with communities that have been oppressed: we recognize the importance of holding relationships with and taking direction from the diverse communities we work with
- Strategic thinker and sharp political analysis: awareness and analysis of Canada's political, media and cultural landscape when crafting campaigns strategy and communications
- Strong relationship and communication skills: a “relationships-first” approach, coupled with solid communication skills to lead a team in a consensus-based environment
- Driven by a passion for deep progressive change: this will be a demanding job which requires passion and commitment on a full range of progressive causes as well as the broader project of building and serving a lasting base of active community members.
The following would be considered assets:
- Digital campaigning experience
- Fundraising experience, any kind
- Experience working with data and analytics, particularly in an advocacy context
- Experience managing projects and people remotely
- Experience with strategic and innovative applications of technology for digital engagement
- Media and government relationships
- Language skills
How to Apply
To submit an application, please send the following, ideally in a single PDF to email@example.com by Wednesday, October 7th, 2020, 11:59pm Pacific time:
- Your CV or resume
- A cover letter telling us about your experience and vision for the future of Leadnow’s role in building a more progressive and just society
- Your favourite recent Leadnow campaign, why, and how we could potentially have improved it, expanded its reach, or scaled its impact (max. 250 words; can be separate from the cover letter or within it)