Petronas LNG - BC's carbon bomb
Malaysian oil giant Petronas wants to build a huge LNG plant in BC that would pave the way for a fracking industry rivaling the tar sands in scale and emissions. 1
The Petronas LNG project is so big, it would single-handedly increase BC’s carbon emissions by as much as 8.5%. 2 What’s worse is it’s just one of 13 LNG plants proposed for BC.
The Federal Government will make a decision on this project in just two weeks, but there’s still time to stop it. They are taking public comments to get feedback from the community, but the deadline for comments is Friday, March 11. 5
If we can convince them to reject Petronas LNG, it will set a powerful precedent that could stop the entire industry in its tracks.
They are even threatening to pull out their investments if the Government doesn’t approve this project by the end of the month. 8
But the government promised they wouldn’t force projects through without our permission. Already, First Nations, scientists and local communities have spoken out. 9 Now we need all of BC to take a stand.
The Petronas LNG project isn’t just bad for the climate. This project is:
- Bad for the economy: Petronas admitted they plan to outsource 40% of construction jobs to foreign temporary workers and create as few as 200-300 long-term jobs. What’s worse, the BC government created huge loopholes that would let Petronas off the hook for millions in taxes and royalties 10 11
- Bad for First Nations reconciliation: Members of the Lax Kwa’laams First Nations, on whose territory the plant would be built, voted unanimously to reject a $1.15 billion offer from Petronas. First Nations from the headwaters to the river-mouth of the Skeena river have united in opposition to the project. If the government is serious about its promises to create a new relationship with First Nations, they can’t ignore this opposition 12 13
- Bad for wild salmon: Petronas’ plant would be built on sensitive eelgrass beds that provide rare habitat for more than 330 million juvenile salmon. This would threaten the Skeena River’s $100 million wild salmon industry, which forms the backbone of entire First Nations cultures 14 15
It’s not too late to stop this project if we take action now. The public comment period closes on Friday — will you send your message to Minister McKenna now?
- BC’s tar sands? Thirteen proposed LNG projects equivalent to 13 times current BC emissions http://www.vancouverobserver.com/blogs/climatesnapshot/thirteen-proposed-lng-projects-equivalent-13-times-current-bc-emissions
- Petronas’ Pacific NorthWest LNG: Profile of a Carbon Bomb http://behindthenumbers.ca/2016/02/25/petronas-pacific-northwest-lng-profile-of-a-carbon-bomb/
- See 1
- Comments on the Pacific NorthWest LNG Environmental Impact Statement and Environmental Assessment Certificate Application (B.A. Faggetter, Ph.D. Oceanography, R.P.Bio). http://saveourskeenasalmon.org/wp-content/uploads/Pacific-Northwest-LNG-CEAA-CritiqueFaggetter1.pdf
- Malaysia’s Petronas threatening to abandon LNG project over new climate change rules http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/malaysias-petronas-threatening-to-abandon-lng-project-over-new-climate-change-rules?__lsa=0987-2821
- Dan Seekings, registered lobbyist on behalf of Petronas, was formerly Chief of Staff for current cabinet minister Ralph Goodale. https://lobbycanada.gc.ca/app/secure/ocl/lrs/do/vwRg?cno=354707®Id=853279 / http://www.globalpublicaffairs.ca/dan-seekings/
- See 5
- See 5
- Lelu Island declaration a major wrench in hardhat premier’s plans http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2016/01/25/Lelu-Declaration/
- Petronas to hire hundreds of skilled foreign workers for BC LNG project http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/petronas-to-hire-hundreds-of-skilled-foreign-workers-for-bc-lng-project/article22016165/
- Just how bad is BC’s LNG deal with Petronas? (The Tyee). http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2015/07/14/BC-LNG-Deal-Petronas/
- BC First Nations group rejects 1-billion dollar offer for LNG venture http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/bc-first-nations-group-rejects-1-billion-offer-from-lng/article24413849/
- See 9
- Environmental groups slam Pacific NorthWest LNG report on fish habitat (Alaska Highway News). http://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/business/environmental-groups-slam-pacific-northwest-lng-report-on-fish-habitat-1.2171581
- See 4